The Parable of the Shoe

on Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I was pulling up to the place we hold our worship service when the thought came to me "Oh no. These are the same shoes!" Exactly one year previous, I had worn a pair of shoes to the worship service and during set-up time, one of the shoes came apart. Thankfully, a gentleman who worked in the building had a spray adhesive which he used to glue the shoe back together. The shoe lasted the day. That evening, I threw the shoes in my closet and forgot about the whole incident until a year later when I picked the shoes out of my closet and wore them. Guess what? The shoes came apart again. This time I called my mom to meet me with another pair of shoes!

As I was sitting in a parking lot waiiting for my mom to bring the other shoes, I thought about how the shoes represent areas in my life. Sometimes I get careless about different things that the Lord has healed or redeemed or changed in me. I forget His mercies and later "try on the old ways". Those old ways should be in the dumpster not in my closet. But we hang on thinking "this time it will be different", or "this time I can handle it" but we are not meant to. We are clearly told in Colossians 3:9b-10

...you have taken off your old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.

We are to take off and get rid of the old self and put on the new. That involves effort on our part and continued effort. We can't put back on what we have taken off or we will all be walking around in broken shoes! So throw away the old and put on the new fashion in Christ!

0 comments:

Post a Comment